Sugar Plum Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, combine dried plums, water and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat; let stand until plumped, about 10 minutes. Drain plums, reserving fruit and liquid. Measure liquid, adding enough water to yield 1/2 cup.
- Cream shortening and remaining granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with cooking liquid; fold in cooled dried plums (batter will be thick).
- Transfer batter to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs, 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 202 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 1, 2017
This bread is delicious, and pretty low in calories too. I followed the recipe exactly as written. I used "Sugar In the Raw" turbinado sugar crystals for the coarse sugar to sprinkle on top. It was great, especially slightly toasted with cream cheese.
Oct 23, 2017
This bread is wonderful. I followed the recipe as written and it came out wonderful (in high altitude).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.