Gingersnap Crumb Pear Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 16 cookies)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 pounds ripe pears (about 4 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Hot caramel ice cream topping, optional
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- For topping, in a food processor, combine crushed cookies, flour, brown sugar and salt. Add butter; pulse until crumbly.
- For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, ginger and salt. Add pears, lemon juice and vanilla; toss gently to combine. Transfer to crust; cover with topping.
- Place pie on a baking sheet; bake 60-70 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and pears are tender. Cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack at least 1 hour before serving. If desired, drizzle with caramel topping.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 530 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 394mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 20, 2017
Really good! I omitted the bottom layer pie crust. I greased an 8x8" pan and put the pear filling in there and topped it with the gingersnap crust. I cooked for a little over 30 minutes. I used about 3 pounds of ripe pears, cutting away some bad parts. Also I put a little preserved ginger in with the pears, not much. Very simple once you don't have to make a pie crust. I also used a gluten free flour mix without any problems.