Ginger Peach Pies
I love ginger in any way, shape or form, so I always look for ways to include it in recipes, especially desserts. Peaches and ginger star in this mini pie that offers the right amount of sweetness and spice. —Rae Endicott, Branson, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
Makes5 mini pies
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 9 tablespoons shortening, cubed
- 6 to 9 tablespoons ice water
- 5 cups sliced peeled peaches
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- OPTIONAL TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork, until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into seven portions; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out five portions of dough to fit a 5-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plates and trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plates; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, toss peaches with lemon juice. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, ginger and salt. Add to peaches and toss to coat. Transfer to pie shells. Dot with butter. Transfer pies to a baking sheet.
- If decorative cutouts are desired, roll remaining pastry to 1/8-in. thickness; cut out with 1-in.cookie cutters. Arrange over pies. If a streusel topping is desired, combine remaining pastry with crystallized ginger and coarse sugar; sprinkle over pies.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1/2 pie: 567 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Crystalized Ginger Peach Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012