Sugar and Spice Pear Pie
My family loves pear pie because it's a little less tart than apple pie. The nutty crust complements the tender fruit and buttery pastry. —Kristina Pontier, Hillsboro, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 5 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine first nine ingredients. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Sprinkle with pecans and brown sugar; fill with pear mixture. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 516 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sugar and Spice Pear Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010