Pear Upside-Down Gingerbread
I prefer to bake from scratch, but this Christmasy cake mix recipe is a favorite. For a change of pace, use apples and walnuts in place of the pears and pecans. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix pecans, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Arrange pear slices over pecan mixture, overlapping slightly.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, folding ginger into batter. Pour over pears. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Gingerbread Pear Upside down Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014