Pear Upside-Down Gingerbread
I prefer to bake from scratch, but this Christmasy cake mix recipe is a favorite. For a change of pace, use apples and walnuts in place of the pears and pecans. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix pecans, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Arrange pear slices over pecan mixture, overlapping slightly.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, folding ginger into batter. Pour over pears. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Gingerbread Pear Upside down Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.