Old-Fashioned Pear Cake
Old-fashioned pear spice cake is a wonderful ending to a meal. It's not too heavy or rich, but the moist treat is brimming with flavor.—Audrey Golden, Cary, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups chopped peeled fresh pears
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, yogurt, oil, egg whites and egg until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into yogurt mixture until blended. Stir in pears and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 264 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Fresh Pear Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.