Gingered Apple Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.+ cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1/8-in. slices
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place butter in a 9-in. round baking pan; heat in oven until melted. Tilt pan to coat bottom and sides. Sprinkle brown sugar and ginger onto bottom of pan. Arrange apple slices in circles over brown sugar mixture.
- For batter, in a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spoon over apples.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 336 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 25, 2017
Just made this cake. Loved the topping. How was your dough? Mine tasted very "doughly". Expected it to be a bit lighter, more "cake-like". Please advise.
Dec 24, 2016
i'm using a gingerbread cake mix so, i'm subing granola pieces with the apples. should be gr8!
May 10, 2016
I prepared this recipe for the first time and made 2 cakes! I could not find crystalized ginger, so I bought & used freeze-dried diced ginger! I used 1/2 tsp. salt in the dry ingredients and baked 30 minutes on the 2nd cake! The first cake, I'd overbaked and the top was burnt. I was able to cut the top away and turn the cake upside down-the cake was salvaged! I did turn out of pan as soon as the cake was done-that way, the apple mixture wouldn't stick to pan! This recipe is really unique and I love that it's so simple to prepare! Thank you for sharing, Raymonde Bourgeois!
Oct 27, 2013
Loved it. The crystallized ginger made it stand out. I think maybe next time (yes, I plan on a next time) I'll add some to the batter also.
Oct 14, 2013
Very tasty served warm with vanilla ice cream. I love using crystallized ginger in recipes but I also added cinnamon to the apples.
Sep 30, 2013
Delicious! I made it for company and didn't know how they felt about ginger, so I substituted it with cinnamon. Everyone enjoyed it!
Sep 17, 2013
Not too sweet, but if you don't like ginger, it'll be disappointing to you! Love the freshness of the apples in it! My cake looked just like the picture when I flipped it!
Sep 2, 2013
This is a delicious recipe. I've made it twice with pears from our backyard. The cake is very moist.
Sep 2, 2013
I made this cake as directed, but I used pineapple instead of apples. It was outstanding. I used canned pineapple slices in their on juice. I will make it again, and my husband said it was a keeper.