Upside-Down Apple Cake with Butterscotch Topping
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- BUTTERSCOTCH APPLE TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled tart apple
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in chopped apple; set aside.
- In a 7-in. ovenproof skillet, melt butter and chips with brown sugar over medium heat. Stir in sliced apple. Spoon and spread batter over apple mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 290 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 3, 2013
I prepared this last week and it is a hands-down winner. We shared it with a neighbor recuperating from surgery and they loved it as well. This recipe is easy to prepare and oh, so good. I highly recommend it and will be preparing it again and again. As another reviewer said, "Heaven in a skillet!"
Aug 5, 2010
Sooo yummy and moist! Heaven in a skillet, and quite easy to make!