Upside-Down Apple Cake with Butterscotch Topping
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- BUTTERSCOTCH APPLE TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled tart apple
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in chopped apple; set aside.
- In a 7-in. ovenproof skillet, melt butter and chips with brown sugar over medium heat. Stir in sliced apple. Spoon and spread batter over apple mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 290 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 3, 2013
I prepared this last week and it is a hands-down winner. We shared it with a neighbor recuperating from surgery and they loved it as well. This recipe is easy to prepare and oh, so good. I highly recommend it and will be preparing it again and again. As another reviewer said, "Heaven in a skillet!"
Aug 5, 2010
Sooo yummy and moist! Heaven in a skillet, and quite easy to make!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.