Homemade Pear Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 5 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss pears with lemon juice. In a small bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; add to pear mixture and toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into an 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 45-50 minutes. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 438 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 29, 2019
I made only the pie crust in this recipe. It was a little too salty for my family's tastes. I would use only half of the salt when making it again. It turned out with a good texture after it was baked.
Oct 29, 2018
This pie was exceptionally good. Best pie I ever made, in fact! I did have problems with the pastry and had to make a second batch. It just wasn’t rolling properly. I may have needed just a little more water. The second batch was fine, although still a little finicky when rolling it. I did use an egg yolk wash when baking it. In spite of my troubles, the pastry was amazing. I did forget to add the last 2 tablespoons of sugar before I put the top crust in. Oops! But it didn’t matter.... My guests absolutely loved it - served it warm with Vanilla bean ice cream. I will definitely make this again, it was awesome!