Homemade Pear Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 5 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss pears with lemon juice. In a small bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; add to pear mixture and toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 438 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 29, 2018
This pie was exceptionally good. Best pie I ever made, in fact! I did have problems with the pastry and had to make a second batch. It just wasn’t rolling properly. I may have needed just a little more water. The second batch was fine, although still a little finicky when rolling it. I did use an egg yolk wash when baking it. In spite of my troubles, the pastry was amazing. I did forget to add the last 2 tablespoons of sugar before I put the top crust in. Oops! But it didn’t matter.... My guests absolutely loved it - served it warm with Vanilla bean ice cream. I will definitely make this again, it was awesome!