Spiced Rum and Pear Cake
The flavors in this cake really make it stand out as a special occasion cake—with raisins, fresh sweet pear chunks, rich spices, crunchy walnuts and rum, it's a great cake to add to your holiday spread. If you don't cook with alcohol, try swapping apple juice for the rum—it'll still be delicious! —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.+ cooling
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large pears (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small heavy saucepan, heat rum over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Beat sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and cooled rum until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Sift together the next five ingredients; gradually beat into rum mixture. Stir in pears, walnuts and raisins. Transfer batter to a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.
- For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and rum; spread over cake. Cut into squares.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 337 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Holiday night cake with black walnuts & rum in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.