Spiced Rum and Pear Cake
The flavors in this cake really make it stand out as a special occasion cake—with raisins, fresh sweet pear chunks, rich spices, crunchy walnuts and rum, it's a great cake to add to your holiday spread. If you don't cook with alcohol, try swapping apple juice for the rum—it'll still be delicious! —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.+ cooling
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large pears (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small heavy saucepan, heat rum over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Beat sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and cooled rum until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Sift together the next 5 ingredients; gradually beat into rum mixture. Stir in pears, walnuts and raisins. Transfer batter to a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.
- For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and rum; spread over cake. Cut into squares.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 337 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Holiday night cake with black walnuts & rum in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018