Apple Pear Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 cups shredded peeled tart apples
- 2 cups shredded peeled pears
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Combine dry ingredients; stir into the fruit mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in the milk and vanilla; frost cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 613 calories, 30g fat (6g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 18, 2020
And worth every star! I have made this repeatedly and always get asked to make more. The only change I might make is to go with one Granny Smith apple and three pears and maybe add some dates as suggested by grannyfromwisc. It has always come out very moist. The frosting is a near perfect companion to the cake.
Oct 18, 2018
I took this cake to a church Board meeting and everyone loved it. If you like carrot cake, you will like this moist variation. Other than leaving the raisins out (not my fave..) I made it as written. I found that 2 good sized Granny Smith apples and 2 regular pears will yield the required 2 cups of each fruit. I recommend using a food processor, if you can, because the fruit gets juicy when shredded. It was yummy!
Oct 3, 2018
I loved it. I made it with 3 apples and one pear, used baking powder because I don’t like baking soda. I used brown sugar as well just for the flavour. It tasted amazing and was fluffy surprisingly
Sep 29, 2017
Can you make this with cupcakes?
Jul 23, 2017
This cake is moist and absolutely delicious. I do not eat raisins, substituted dried cranberries. Was perfect. Recipe was a lot for the two of us, so I froze most of it. Froze nicely.
Oct 1, 2014
Super moist and I added dates ( 1/2 cup) while cutting the pears to 1 1/2 cups to mine. I made the frosting without the cream cheese ( I didn't have any) and it was delicious. Everyone loved it!
Oct 20, 2010
Family loved it, very moist and the pears are subtle flavour.
Jun 28, 2010
This is great--very rich, but tasted delicious with all the wonderful fruits & nuts. A cake like this, I prefer just to dust the top with powdered sugar.