Spiced Rum Fruitcake
This fruitcake not only can be made weeks ahead, it tastes better that way! You can substitute Brazil nuts, pecans and hazelnuts for the walnuts—or use a combination of nuts. —Jason Boor, Manchester, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup dried mangoes, chopped
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup spiced rum, divided
- Preheat oven to 300°. Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with parchment, letting ends extend up sides of pan; grease and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the walnuts, dates, cherries and mangoes; toss to coat. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar and 1/2 cup rum until blended; stir into fruit mixture. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes. Slowly pour remaining rum over cake. Cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in a cool, dry place overnight. Cut with a serrated knife.
Test Kitchen tips