Spiced Rum-Nut Brittle
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1 pound
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a 15x10x1-in. pan; set aside.
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes; stir. Microwave 2-1/2 minutes longer. Stir in the cashews, pecans, butter, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and nutmeg.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until mixture turns a light amber color (mixture will be very hot). Quickly stir in baking soda and extracts until light and foamy. Immediately pour into prepared pan; spread with a metal spatula. Cool completely. Break into pieces; store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce: 263 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 4, 2017
Didn’t care for microwave method. Too hard to handle a hot bowl. Hard to spread
Dec 25, 2013
Made this 11:30 pm Christmas Eve. Fast, easy, delicious! Bowl was hard to clean afterwards.
Jun 1, 2013
Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you away! This is a great recipe. Not only easy to make but everyone loves it! I make this not just during the Holidays but hot weather too. No over or stove top. The quick microwave makes it so easy!
Dec 30, 2010
My husband made this recipe for some of our Christmas presents and EVERYONE wanted the recipe. This one will definitely go into our "do not lose this recipe" file.
Dec 24, 2010
Wow! This is the best brittle ever. My family likes spicey and this is a major hit!
Dec 24, 2010
Jun 5, 2010
The cinnamon and cayenne add a wonderful kick to this brittle. My family could not keep away from it.