Fruitcake Cookies with Rum Glaze
Like fruitcake—only better! If you make these cookies non-alcoholic, you may wish to increase the rum extract for flavor. —Sheisla Joan Suhan, Scottdale, PA
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rum or additional water
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup diced crystallized ginger
- 1/3 cup diced candied orange zest
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons rum or additional milk
- Place first five ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is almost absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Cool completely. Stir in pecans, ginger and orange zest.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in fruit mixture.
- Place remaining sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape 2 tablespoons of dough into balls; toss in sugar to coat lightly. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until golden brown and just set, 11-13 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Mix glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cookies.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 176 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as FRUIT CAKE PUFFS in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018