Fruitcake Cookies with Rum Glaze
Like fruitcake—only better! If you make these cookies non-alcoholic, you may wish to increase the rum extract for flavor. —Sheisla Joan Suhan, Scottdale, PA
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rum or additional water
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup diced crystallized ginger
- 1/3 cup diced candied orange zest
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons rum or additional milk
- 1. Place first five ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is almost absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Cool completely. Stir in pecans, ginger and orange zest.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in fruit mixture.
- 3. Place remaining sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape 2 tablespoons of dough into balls; toss in sugar to coat lightly. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 4. Bake until golden brown and just set, 11-13 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- 5. Mix glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cookies.
1 cookie: 176 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC