Coconut Mango Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
All of the fun flavors of Puerto Rico come together in a dessert that's both exotic and familiar. Topped with a brown sugar rum sauce, it's even better with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. —Jennifer Jackson, Keller, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours.
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups torn French bread
- 1/3 cup chopped dried mangoes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 6 ingredients until blended. Gently stir in bread, mango and coconut flakes. Transfer to a greased 3-quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until puffed and edges are dark golden, about 3 hours.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar over medium-low heat until blended. Whisk in water and yolk. Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and a thermometer reads 175°, about 10 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a bowl; stir in rum extract. Serve warm bread pudding with rum sauce. If desired, top with additional coconut.
Test Kitchen tips