Coconut Mango Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
All of the fun flavors of Puerto Rico come together in a dessert that's both exotic and familiar. Topped with a brown sugar rum sauce, it's even better with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. —Jennifer Jackson, Keller, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours.
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups torn French bread
- 1/3 cup chopped dried mangoes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 6 ingredients until blended. Gently stir in bread, mango and coconut flakes. Transfer to a greased 3-quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until puffed and edges are dark golden, about 3 hours.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar over medium-low heat until blended. Whisk in water and yolk. Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and a thermometer reads 175°, about 10 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a bowl; stir in rum extract. Serve warm bread pudding with rum sauce. If desired, top with additional coconut.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cups with 2 tablespoons sauce: 447 calories, 24g fat (18g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Mango Bread Pudding with Sugared Rum Sauce in Taste of Home September/October 2018