Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
There's nothing better than this comforting bread pudding recipe on a cold, wintry day. The bourbon sauce makes the dessert taste special, but it's so easy to prepare—the slow cooker does most of the work! —Hope Johnson, Youngwood, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours.
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups day-old cubed brioche or egg bread
- 1-1/4 cups raisins
- BOURBON SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- In a large bowl, whisk together first seven ingredients; stir in bread and raisins. Transfer to a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 3 hours. (To avoid scorching, rotate slow cooker insert one-half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts.)
- For sauce, place butter, sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon. Serve warm with bread pudding.
Health tip: This dessert is rich and decadent even without the sauce. Skip it and save nearly 200 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup with 2 tablespoons sauce: 477 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 354mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Bread Pudding with dried fruit in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.