BBQ Chicken and Apple Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small green apple, peeled and diced
- Minced chives
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions and bake using a greased and floured 8-in. square baking pan. Cool. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown and caramelized, 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over chicken; toss to coat.
- Cube cornbread. Microwave remaining butter, covered, on high until melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk in eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Add caramelized onions. Pour egg mixture over cornbread cubes. Add chicken, cheese and apples. Toss gently to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8-in. square or 1-1/2-quart baking dish; bake until bubbly and top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Drizzle reserved barbecue sauce over bread pudding. Sprinkle with chives.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 465 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Jul 22, 2018
The directions are terrible. Have someone go over the processes involved and explain better.
Mar 25, 2018
this was simply delicious!! I made a few modifications to match our diet (no dairy) but otherwise made it to the recipe. SOOOO delicious! my little one devoured it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.