BBQ Chicken and Apple Bread Pudding
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small green apple, peeled and diced
- Minced chives
- 1. Prepare cornbread according to package directions and bake using a greased and floured 8-in. square baking pan. Cool. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown and caramelized, 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2. Pour 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over chicken; toss to coat.
- 3. Cube cornbread. Microwave remaining butter, covered, on high until melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk in eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Add caramelized onions. Pour egg mixture over cornbread cubes. Add chicken, cheese and apple. Toss gently to combine.
- 4. Pour mixture into a greased 8-in. square or 1-1/2-quart baking dish; bake until bubbly and top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining barbecue sauce over bread pudding. Sprinkle with chives.
1 serving: 465 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Nov 19, 2018This recipe sounded a little odd and seems a bit strange when you are putting it together, but it is delicious! Sweet, tart, tangy, savory. We've made it twice and ate it all the same night both times.
Oct 26, 2018In theory it sounds good, but it lacked different textures (mushy throughout) and also was sweet on sweet on sweet. IF I made this again I would use pepper jack cheese. Also, I think just sauteed onions instead of caramelizing them would help. Perhaps even zipping up the cornbread would help.
Oct 21, 2018I was so excited about this recipe. Made it exactly. Its was very bland. I had to add extra salt
Jul 22, 2018The directions are terrible. Have someone go over the processes involved and explain better.
Mar 25, 2018
this was simply delicious!! I made a few modifications to match our diet (no dairy) but otherwise made it to the recipe. SOOOO delicious! my little one devoured it!