Christmas Pudding with Brandy Sauce
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes10 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce)
- 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1 medium apple, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup red candied cherries
- 1/4 cup green candied cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied citron
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange and cherry juices, beating well after each addition. Stir in the fruit mixture.
- Pour into two well-greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover with foil. Place on a rack in each of two stockpots. Add 2 in. of boiling water to each stockpot; cover and boil gently for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, adding water as needed. Let stand for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, egg yolk, half-and-half and salt. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream and brandy into brown sugar mixture. Serve with pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 515 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 3, 2012
CiCiB -- The serving in the photo might be a triangle wedge of the loaf.
Dec 3, 2012
This isn't a review, it is a question. The recipe says to bake in an 8x4 inch loaf pan yet the photo shows a pie shaped wedge. can it be made in a round cake pan or pie plate?