Christmas Pudding with Brandy Sauce
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes10 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce)
- 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1 medium apple, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup red candied cherries
- 1/4 cup green candied cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied citron
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange and cherry juices, beating well after each addition. Stir in the fruit mixture.
- Pour into two well-greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover with foil. Place on a rack in each of two stockpots. Add 2 in. of boiling water to each stockpot; cover and boil gently for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, adding water as needed. Let stand for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, egg yolk, half-and-half and salt. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream and brandy into brown sugar mixture. Serve with pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 515 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 3, 2012
CiCiB -- The serving in the photo might be a triangle wedge of the loaf.
Dec 3, 2012
This isn't a review, it is a question. The recipe says to bake in an 8x4 inch loaf pan yet the photo shows a pie shaped wedge. can it be made in a round cake pan or pie plate?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.