Pecan Bread Pudding with Rum Custard Sauce
Fat-free ingredients, though not suitable for all baking recipes, work like a charm in this homey dessert. —Virginia Anthony, Jacksonville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- RUM CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. Gently stir in bread and pecans; let stand for 10 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small heavy saucepan. Stir in milk and evaporated milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg substitute; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve warm with bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers.