Pecan Bread Pudding with Rum Custard Sauce
Fat-free ingredients, though not suitable for all baking recipes, work like a charm in this homey dessert. —Virginia Anthony, Jacksonville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- RUM CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. Gently stir in bread and pecans; let stand for 10 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small heavy saucepan. Stir in milk and evaporated milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg substitute; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve warm with bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 286 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Pecan Bread Pudding with Rum Custard Sauce in Taste of Home December/January 2012