Cajun Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Bake: 45 min.
- 4-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 11 cups cubed French bread (1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup raisins, optional
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, optional
- PRALINE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash salt
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 cups of milk until warm; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and remaining milk. Gradually add warmed milk, stirring constantly. Stir in butter. Add bread cubes; let soak 10 minutes. Add cinnamon, and raisins and/or pecans if desired.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- For sauce, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar; stir to dissolve. Add corn syrup. Bring to boil; cook 15-20 seconds. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pecans, vanilla, butter and salt. Cut pudding into squares and serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 935 calories, 85g fat (50g saturated fat), 284mg cholesterol, 1072mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 11, 2014
@ cooker69 - perhaps you should subscribe to Cooking Light if the amount of calories offend your ubercalorie-counting sensibilities.
Oct 17, 2012
over 900 calories 85gr of fat, are you kidding ??? you should call this suicide pudding,,,,,,
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.