Coconut Cream Pudding
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir 1 cup hot milk mixture into yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in coconut and vanilla. Cool to lukewarm without stirring.
- Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. In a large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding, sealing to edges. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 257 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 2, 2012
Slight variation. I added a layer of butter cookies on the bottom and up the sides for a little crusty texture. It was a hit!
Dec 2, 2012
Great recipe. I added butter cookies on the bottom and up the sides of dish to give a little crust and texture. It was a hit. I think I'll add a crust with some pecans (as in choc delight) next time.
Feb 11, 2012
Definitely a keeper! For iceus2, your eggs must have been bad...
Feb 14, 2010
Oh, me again. I would also like to add that you should not use as much sugar. I practically made my mom's hair curl.
Feb 14, 2010
I do not know why but this recipe did not work for me! AT ALL!!! Everything was going fine until the meringue. It would not stiffen up! Finally I just gave up after an hour of trying to save the meringue and two phone calls to great chefs. I just poured the "meringue" on top anyway. When it came out of the oven, the dessert was smelling really strongly of SULFUR! The only person in my family who liked was my dog. He loved it.
Feb 13, 2010
Coconut cream pudding is excellent and one my family will make many more times. It's a keeper, for sure, and a recipe that will go in my recipe box and stay there.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.