Easy Coconut Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into beaten eggs. Return all to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until nearly boiling. Reduce heat; cook and stir about 2 minutes more (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup coconut, butter and vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Chill for several hours before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 376 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 1, 2018
Can you use almond milk instead of whole milk. We are lactose intolerant.
Mar 20, 2017
Awesome recipe! Then again I love coconut! Thanks for sharing!
Mar 7, 2017
We enjoyed this pie. I prepared it as written except for substituting 1 Tablespoon cornstarch for 1 Tablespoon of the flour as suggested by chefkatkat in her review. I'd intended to top the pie with freshly whipped cream but found it didn't need any. I served it with a few fresh strawberries to add a bit of color.
Mar 16, 2016
Recipe did not work. Custard did not set in the refrigerator. Not sure what I did wrong. Any ideas about how I might fix it?
Dec 28, 2015
This pie was delicious. i made it as given except substituted heavy whipping cream for the milk. (Took much less time to thicken using the heavy whipping cream) it stands on its own--you don't need to top with any meringue or whip cream
Dec 27, 2015
This is pretty much the recipe I use for all of my cream pies (adjusting different flavors, of course) with only a couple of changes. Reduce the flour to 2 tablespoons and add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Gives a smoother texture to the pudding. I also separate the eggs and only add the yolks to the pudding. I use the whites for meringue. I sprinkle 1/4 c coconut on the filling, top with meringue and sprinkle remaining coconut on top. Place under broiler until golden brown. (Watch closely! It can burn in a heartbeat! Ask me how I know.) Even if you follow the recipe as written, you will have a delicious pie! The changes I made are due to the methods I learned while earning my Masters in Pastry Arts.
Dec 25, 2015
This recipe did not work for me at all. The flour milk ratio is not right. It should not take a half hour to thicken. Burnt my favorite pan after all that. Lost a half an hour scrubbing.
Dec 6, 2015
Delicious and easy even for a first time
Apr 15, 2015
I liked it but like to make the creamier filling.
Apr 8, 2015
This recipe looks beautiful in the picture!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.