Irresistible Coconut Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk oil and milk. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until moistened (mixture will be crumbly). Press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, coconut and vanilla.
- For meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add marshmallow creme, beating on high speed. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edge of crust. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 437 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 10, 2018
Big hit after Thanksgiving dinner. I used a refrigerated pie crust, added an extra 1/2c. coconut to the filling and baked it in an enamelware pie tin which gave it a lightly browned and very flakey pie crust. I have never had a flakey crust like that before! I did lower the oven temp by 25 degrees due to the dark pan. I will be making it again for Christmas and beyond. I am big fan of coconut cream pie!
Apr 29, 2017
just made it looks delicious now I have to wait til it cools love the marshmellow cr?me with the meringue!!!
Feb 19, 2017
Delicious pie recipe!!! Turns out perfect every time and a big hit with friends and family!!!
May 26, 2013
I have made this many times. It is always excellent. If I am in a hurry I use a Marie Calendars pie crust. I use 1/2 tsp coconut flavoring and 1/2 tswp vanilla for the pudding. We like the added coconut taste.
Mar 27, 2011
This is a yummy recipe! I made just a couple of changes. I didn't have whole wheat flour on hand so I made a regular pie crust. I substituted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract for the 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract in the filling. My family loves the taste of coconut. The pie was awesome and everyone loved it.
Jul 25, 2010
I made this pie today for my husband. We both loved it. It is so delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. I don't usually care for meringue but this one was so good because of the marshmallow cream. We both love coconut desserts so I will definitely be making this again.
Jul 1, 2010
This pie was delicious! The crust is easy to make and the marshmallow creme is perfect on the top - I have made this pie many times and it is always good!