Irresistible Coconut Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk oil and milk. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until moistened (mixture will be crumbly). Press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, coconut and vanilla.
- For meringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add marshmallow creme, beating on high speed. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edge of crust. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 437 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 10, 2018
Big hit after Thanksgiving dinner. I used a refrigerated pie crust, added an extra 1/2c. coconut to the filling and baked it in an enamelware pie tin which gave it a lightly browned and very flakey pie crust. I have never had a flakey crust like that before! I did lower the oven temp by 25 degrees due to the dark pan. I will be making it again for Christmas and beyond. I am big fan of coconut cream pie!
Apr 29, 2017
just made it looks delicious now I have to wait til it cools love the marshmellow cr?me with the meringue!!!
Feb 19, 2017
Delicious pie recipe!!! Turns out perfect every time and a big hit with friends and family!!!
May 26, 2013
I have made this many times. It is always excellent. If I am in a hurry I use a Marie Calendars pie crust. I use 1/2 tsp coconut flavoring and 1/2 tswp vanilla for the pudding. We like the added coconut taste.
Mar 27, 2011
This is a yummy recipe! I made just a couple of changes. I didn't have whole wheat flour on hand so I made a regular pie crust. I substituted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract for the 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract in the filling. My family loves the taste of coconut. The pie was awesome and everyone loved it.
Jul 25, 2010
I made this pie today for my husband. We both loved it. It is so delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. I don't usually care for meringue but this one was so good because of the marshmallow cream. We both love coconut desserts so I will definitely be making this again.
Jul 1, 2010
This pie was delicious! The crust is easy to make and the marshmallow creme is perfect on the top - I have made this pie many times and it is always good!