Coconut Cream Angel Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, butter and vanilla. Pour into prepared shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 342 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 3, 2016
I cannot say enough about this pie! It was so easy and delicious. I made it exactly as written, with the exception of adding a half teaspoon of coconut extract in addition to the vanilla in the custard. I'm usually a little bit scared of custards as I seem to struggle with tempering the eggs and end up with lumps, but this time it was silky smooth. It set up perfectly, despite the fact I barely gave it the recommended chilling time. I will make this again and again..... especially since my usually not-so-fond-of-pie husband declared it a great success!
May 22, 2016
we loved the pie... but we done abit of change - we used cool whip (tub) and t turned out - yum!!!
Mar 27, 2016
This sounded like a good receipe. I tried it. Turned out horrible, did not gel.., went by receipt exactly , was a mess & embarrassment. Won't use again. Do not recommend.
Apr 15, 2015
Very good and easy.
Apr 6, 2015
This pie was delicious. My only problem was that my meringue weeped (got wet between the custard and meringue. Humidity was likely the culprit.
Jun 6, 2014
Excellent pieAdded 1 cup of coconutWill double meringue next time
Sep 11, 2013
Both my husband and I love Coconut Cream Pie. This is a very good recipe and we absolutely loved it. I made it twice in one week! I will be making this recipe over and over again. Definitely a keeper!!!
Jun 30, 2013
My dad's favorite pie is coconut. I have never made a meringue pie before but I tried this for his birthday this year. He said it was probably the best one he has ever had!!! Needless to say it didn't last long and I will be making it a lot in the future!
Apr 11, 2013
I have made this twice already in the last week. Delicious !!! Everybody loved it!
Apr 9, 2013
I have tried many times to make this type of cream pie, and always it was runny. Not this time. The pie turned out perfect. Thank you so much for sharing.