Lime & Coconut Cream Pie
My custard pie features two tropical flavors I love. Plus, it’s a breeze to make. I throw most of the ingredients in the blender to whip up the filling, then pour it into a purchased crust. —Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 medium limes
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Finely grate, peel and squeeze juice from limes; place both in a blender. Add 1 cup coconut, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, flour, salt and, if desired, extract. Cover and process until blended. Add remaining 1 cup coconut; cover and pulse just until combined. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate (pie will be full).
- Bake on a lower oven rack 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack; refrigerate until cold.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without toasted coconut): 652 calories, 44g fat (32g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Lime in da Coconut Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.