Can’t Miss Coconut Custard Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle coconut over crust; set aside. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, flour, vanilla and salt. Pour over coconut; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. If desired, top with toasted coconut to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 322 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 4, 2017
Excellent pie, make sure you use a large pie plate. I toasted the coconut for added flavour. Janet VFE
Jul 3, 2013
yummy....wish it had more custard. I incorporated the coconut in the pie and a very thin layer atop....Pretty pie
Jan 24, 2013
Excellent pie, my one change is that I toasted the coconut. It was amazing!
Mar 10, 2011
Everyone loved this and I agree, needs a bigger pie shell.
Nov 25, 2010
Excellent pie - am making again today. Delicious!
Nov 6, 2010
I made it without a crust and only 1/2 cup sugar. It was so good. If there were a chocolate topping it would taste like a famous candy bar. JPR
Oct 2, 2010
Coconut would probably be better if toasted first. The filling almost over-flowed my 9.5 inch Deep-dish pie pan; I would recommend making it in a 10 inch deep-dish pan.