Can’t Miss Coconut Custard Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle coconut over crust; set aside. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, flour, vanilla and salt. Pour over coconut; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. If desired, top with toasted coconut to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 322 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 4, 2017
Excellent pie, make sure you use a large pie plate. I toasted the coconut for added flavour. Janet VFE
Jul 3, 2013
yummy....wish it had more custard. I incorporated the coconut in the pie and a very thin layer atop....Pretty pie
Jan 24, 2013
Excellent pie, my one change is that I toasted the coconut. It was amazing!
Mar 10, 2011
Everyone loved this and I agree, needs a bigger pie shell.
Nov 25, 2010
Excellent pie - am making again today. Delicious!
Nov 6, 2010
I made it without a crust and only 1/2 cup sugar. It was so good. If there were a chocolate topping it would taste like a famous candy bar. JPR
Oct 2, 2010
Coconut would probably be better if toasted first. The filling almost over-flowed my 9.5 inch Deep-dish pie pan; I would recommend making it in a 10 inch deep-dish pan.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.