Coconut Chiffon Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Shaved fresh coconut, optional
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Add extracts; beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Fold in whipped cream and flaked coconut. Spread into pie crust. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with shaved fresh coconut if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 375 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 29, 2014
I made this pie for Thanksgiving, needless to say I was embarrassed when I tasted it myself. It was the worst, tasteless, pie I have ever made. I don't know what it was missing but it had no taste but nasty. It needs some taste like coconut flavoring, the coconut itself did nothing to the taste. Yuck, I won't be using this again.
Aug 25, 2013
I love this recipe. This was the first homemade pie that I had ever made and found it to be very easy to do. The only thing I changed was that I don't use as much salt as it calls for. I did the first time and found it to be a little too salty.
Jan 24, 2013
THIS IS AWESOME!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.