Coconut Chiffon Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Shaved fresh coconut, optional
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Add extracts; beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Fold in whipped cream and flaked coconut. Spread into pie crust. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with shaved fresh coconut if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 375 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 29, 2014
I made this pie for Thanksgiving, needless to say I was embarrassed when I tasted it myself. It was the worst, tasteless, pie I have ever made. I don't know what it was missing but it had no taste but nasty. It needs some taste like coconut flavoring, the coconut itself did nothing to the taste. Yuck, I won't be using this again.
Aug 25, 2013
I love this recipe. This was the first homemade pie that I had ever made and found it to be very easy to do. The only thing I changed was that I don't use as much salt as it calls for. I did the first time and found it to be a little too salty.
Jan 24, 2013
THIS IS AWESOME!