Strawberry Chiffon Pie
This scrumptious strawberry chiffon filling is so refreshing. Either of the crumb crusts on this page will showcase it nicely.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons lemonade concentrate
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 reduced-fat graham cracker crust (8 inches) or chocolate crumb crust
- 4 large fresh strawberries, halved
- Place sliced strawberries in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for filling (discard remaining puree or save for another use). In a saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over lemonade concentrate; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and reserved strawberry puree. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of filling into egg whites; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat for 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and a thermometer reaches 160° (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in orange juice. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Fold in whipped topping; spoon into crust. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Just before serving, garnish with halved strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 226 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Strawberry Chiffon Pie in Light & Tasty Premiere 2001