Susie’s Dark Chocolate-Coconut Pie
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1-1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- Combine the cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until crust is set. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in coconut milk and whole milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, butter and extracts until butter is melted. Pour into cooled crust. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in butter. Cool until slightly thickened. Spread over filling. Garnish with toasted coconut. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 2, 2014
So simple and yummy! If you like dark chocolate and coconut, you'll love this!
Oct 10, 2012
So delicious! It's a very heavy, rich pie that is sure to delight everyone at a family gathering. Absolutely wonderful, and not too hard to make! Loved it!