Coconut Rice Pudding
This rice pudding from our Test Kitchen has a hint of citrus and a mild coconut flavor. Look for unsweetened coconut milk in the Asian aisle of your grocery store.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium grain rice
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the rice, water, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt and lemon peel. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Stir in the milk, condensed milk, coconut milk, raisins and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring frequently. Discard cinnamon sticks. Sprinkle coconut over pudding. Serve warm or chilled.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 421 calories, 18g fat (14g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 354mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jun 30, 2010
This recipe is a keeper! The flavor is mild. Very good! If you are looking for a stronger coconut taste you might try adding coconut extract instead of the vanilla. I made the recipe just as listed and it came out perfect!