Spiced Sherry Cake
My mother received this recipe from a friend years ago when fluted tube pans first became popular. The cake lasts a few days in the refrigerator, if you don't eat it all right away. I personally love to serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. —Debbie Pelletier, Jupiter, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large Eggland's Best eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sherry
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients; add eggs, oil and sherry. Beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor’s Note: To remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans.
Originally published as Simply, A Wine Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.