Plum Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 to 2 pounds medium plums, pitted and halved
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Melt butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or ovenproof skillet. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter. Arrange plum halves, cut side down, in a single layer over sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored; gradually beat in sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Blend water and lemon extract; beat into batter. Pour over plums.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm, with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 245 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2015
I made this with rhubarb (with a little extra sugar) for Easter last year. My family ate the whole thing. The cake itself is fabulous, so I'm sure it would be great with plums, too.
Nov 20, 2014
it's sooo GOOD! this has to have five stars!! we put a less sugar and it was tart but, it was YUMMY!!
Jul 11, 2013
made this for dessert tonight- not impressed at all for this recipe. the cake was very dense and heavy - not what I expected. and the recipe needed more sugar - following directions, the cake was very tart
Aug 8, 2010
I forgot to flip it immediately and it still came out mostly nicely.
Jun 22, 2010
We have a Santa Rosa plum tree in our yard. I have made this recipe with our plums for the last four years. My co-workers and family beg for more plum cake.