Peach Praline Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 medium peaches, peeled and sliced (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and toasted pecan halves, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°.
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Remove from heat. Arrange peaches in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in milk, melted butter and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until stiff but not dry; gradually fold into batter. Pour batter into skillet. Bake 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream and pecan halves if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without optional ingredients): 411 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 6, 2017
Cake was not to bad the cook time needs to be longer first time I checked the cake it was not done. Add about 5 minutes to the cook time I would make this one again.
Jun 14, 2017
This was the first time I made a cake in a skillet. It was super easy and delicious. I wish I could attach a picture of my cake to this teview.
Sep 18, 2016
i did not care for it didnt like the cake part
May 30, 2014
Perfect for summer picnics! I didn't have any pecans or cake flour. I googled a substitute for cake flour: use 3/4 cup of all purpose, and 2 T of cornstarch mixed together as a substitute for this recipe. The cake turned out delicious! My kids gobbled their slices up, and asked for seconds!
Aug 26, 2013
Great flavor, but mine also came out gooey and undercooked in the center even though it tested clean. Next time I will try cooking it longer than recommended, perhaps tent it at the end. Beautiful appearance, great recipe otherwise! Got lots of "ooooh"'s from the family when it was put on the table.
Jul 28, 2013
This recipe was a great variation on the traditional pineapple upside down cake. Just be sure you use peaches that are at their peak of ripeness for best flavor. A slice of this cake would be perfect served with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of homemade ice cream.
Jun 20, 2013
I baked this in a 10 inch cake pan because I didn't have an oven-proof skillet. The toothpick came out of the center clean. When we cut into the cake a couple hours later the center was gooey and appeared to be under baked. It looked fine when I took it out of the pan and tasted fine. Any idea why the center turned gooey after the toothpick said it was done?
Jun 18, 2013
What a great recipe for the summer when peaches are ripe. I was worried all the caramel would come out when I was flipping it over so I put a plate over the cake and tilted the whole thing on its side to drain it out. After flipping the cake out, I just poured the sauce back over the top and it worked perfectly.
Jun 11, 2013
Not overly sweet and very light, yet moist. This would even go as a breakfast item.
Jun 7, 2013
Delicious ... but mine did not turn out near as pretty and I'm hoping someone can help me. My peaches were not visible when I turned out my cake. They sunk down into the cake and all you could see was the caramelized top. What did I do wrong? I did not have cast iron, used a regular All Clad skillet. Could that have been the problem? But again, put some whipped cream on top, it was delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.