Southern Peach Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups sliced peeled peaches or frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. If desired, combine peaches and bourbon; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 1/4 cup butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; heat in oven until butter is melted, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange peach slices over brown sugar.
- For batter, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition just until combined. Spread batter evenly over peaches.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 306 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 27, 2018
I made this recipe exactly as written (with the bourbon), and it was AMAZING! The bourbon was subtle enough that the kids still liked it, but also pronounced enough that the adults appreciated that the flavor was there. This is definitely a keeper.