Southern Peach Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups sliced peeled peaches or frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. If desired, combine peaches and bourbon; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 1/4 cup butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; heat in oven until butter is melted, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange peach slices over brown sugar.
- For batter, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition just until combined. Spread batter evenly over peaches.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 306 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 8, 2019
Delicious!!! Family loved it. I used Amaretto instead of Bourbon. Definitely will make again.
Sep 23, 2019
Great recipe. I only made a minor change because of the peaches I had. My peaches weren't as ripe as I would have liked and I wasn't sure they would have had enough peach flavor. I didn't have Peach Schnapps, so I added a 1 Tbs Apricot Brandy along with the Bourbon. I used 3 peaches which ended up yielding 3 cups and let them soak in a pie plate so that it would distribute evenly. Wasn't sure if it would bubble over so I put a tray underneath. Also, it will seem like not enough batter, but it was perfect. I turned it out onto a foil lined rimmed sheet (because I had more liquid). It turned out wonderful. It is definitely a keeper !
Aug 10, 2019
Loved this recipe. Didn’t have any bourbon still fantastic. Will have bourbon next time! There will be a next time!
Sep 27, 2018
I made this recipe exactly as written (with the bourbon), and it was AMAZING! The bourbon was subtle enough that the kids still liked it, but also pronounced enough that the adults appreciated that the flavor was there. This is definitely a keeper.