Makeover Peach Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches in juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain peaches, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Cut peach slices lengthwise in half; pat dry.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, spices and reserved juice; spread into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Arrange peach slices over top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together egg, vanilla, buttermilk and remaining butter. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Spoon over peaches.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 273 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fat.
May 3, 2019
Great recipe! I love this cake. For some reason, when I got about half way through making this recipe when I realized that all of the ingredients that were mentioned in the directions were not listed. Just in case anyone else had this problem, I found the recipe on another site, and the items are: 1 cup buttermilk, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
Mar 25, 2014
The topping was sweeter than expected...probably because the peaches were canned in heavy syrup. Will try recipe with fresh or frozen fruit next time. Couldn't find my 9" pan, so used an 8" and baked about 15 minutes longer. It was wonderful served warm with whipped cream.
Jul 6, 2012
Very good makeover recipe for peach upside down cake. Tasy and easy to make when using canned peaches.
Aug 12, 2010
This was a great cake. Not as pretty as the picture. Don't know why the makeover cake used canned peaches instead of fresh. Used fresh then used peach puree instead of juice from the can. Would definitely make again but would try doubling the peaches on top.
Feb 9, 2010
This is really good. I have made it several times. The peaches are a nice change of pace from traditional pineapple upside-down cake.