Fresh Peach Upside-Down Cake
This is a family favorite and a great summertime dessert, using fresh peaches. We love this cake served warm with whipped cream.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Pour butter into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange peach slices in a single layer over brown sugar.
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spoon over peaches.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired.
Originally published as Upside Down Peach Cake in Country Extra July 2006