Fresh Peach Upside-Down Cake
This is a family favorite and a great summertime dessert, using fresh peaches. We love this cake served warm with whipped cream.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Pour butter into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange peach slices in a single layer over brown sugar.
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spoon over peaches.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired.
Originally published as Upside Down Peach Cake in Country Extra July 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.