Blue Ribbon Red Velvet Cake
This two-layer beauty features a striking red interior. It calls for more baking cocoa than most red velvet cakes, making it extra chocolaty. Feel free to change the color of the food coloring to suit the occasion. I'm proud to say that this recipe won a blue ribbon in the holiday cake division at the 2006 Alaska State Fair. I think this award winning red velvet cake recipe will be a winner in your house, too! —Cindi DeClue, Anchorage, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Beat the first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into oil mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Using a long serrated knife, trim tops of cakes; set tops aside. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, bottom side up. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Break cake tops into pieces. Pulse in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Decorate cake with crumbs as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 559 calories, 33g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Classic Red Velvet Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.