Blue Ribbon Red Velvet Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Beat the first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into oil mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Using a long serrated knife, trim tops of cakes; set tops aside. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, bottom side up. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Break cake tops into pieces. Pulse in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Decorate cake with crumbs as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 559 calories, 33g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 21, 2019
The cake recipe is okay but this cake is much better frosted with its original erman frosting.
Aug 9, 2019
I think I’ll ask my daughter to bake this cake next time we gather for a family birthday! I love the way it’s decorated and it looks yum! Cozy up out there in Alaska.....you lucky human! ??