Pumpkin Cake with Whipped Cinnamon Frosting
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cinnamon sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger and allspice; gradually beat into egg mixture. Stir in pumpkin and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, cinnamon and vanilla until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and enough cream to reach desired consistency.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Spread 3/4 cup frosting between layers; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 687 calories, 33g fat (11g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (82g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 17, 2019
Thought this was a very good cake and I loved the cinnamon frosting! Would definitely use the frosting again on other baked things too. I adjusted some of the ingredients for high altitude, Everyone seemed to like this very much and I would probably make again.