Pumpkin Cake with Whipped Cinnamon Frosting
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cinnamon sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger and allspice; gradually beat into egg mixture. Stir in pumpkin and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, cinnamon and vanilla until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and enough cream to reach desired consistency.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Spread 3/4 cup frosting between layers; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 687 calories, 33g fat (11g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (82g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 17, 2019
Thought this was a very good cake and I loved the cinnamon frosting! Would definitely use the frosting again on other baked things too. I adjusted some of the ingredients for high altitude, Everyone seemed to like this very much and I would probably make again.