Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon-Apple Topping
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 pancakes (1 cup topping)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add apple; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- For pancakes, in a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, pie spice and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, pumpkin and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in walnuts.
- Lightly grease a griddle; heat over medium heat. Pour batter by scant 1/3 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with apple topping. Freeze option: Prepare pancakes only. Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare apple topping as directed; serve with pancakes.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes with 1/4 cup topping: 459 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 10, 2018
These were good. The apple topping really made the pancakes. I would recommend making additional topping.
Oct 13, 2016
These were SO yummy. My family really enjoyed them. Make the Syrup, it's worth it!
Oct 3, 2015
I love pancakes, but am diabetic, so I am picky at what I eat, but I made these for my family and they loved them. So Pumpkin tasting. We loved them, I even had a couple. Wonderful.
Sep 21, 2015
The pancakes were full of pumpkin flavor - we devoured them! I didn't make the apple topping this time, but will try it in the future. I left out the walnuts. I got 6 pancakes out of it. Update: made it again, this time with the apple topping, and it was beyond incredible! The apple and pumpkin flavors together are amazing!