Apple-Cinnamon Quinoa Pancakes
My daughter and daughter-in-law got me hooked on quinoa. I dressed up a regular pancake recipe to create these delicious apple-cinnamon breakfast treats. The shredded apple remains slightly crunchy with the short cooking time, but it really compliments the chewy texture of the quinoa. —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium Gala apple, shredded
- 1 cup ready-to-serve quinoa
- 1 tablespoon butter or canola oil
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, almond milk, syrup, canola oil and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in apple and quinoa.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle; cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 222 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Apple-Cinnamon Quinoa Pancakes in Taste of Home February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.