Hot Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 minutes + cooling
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Baking cocoa or confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Generously grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Beat first 7 ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Add to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55-65 minutes. Cool in pan 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely. If desired, dust with cocoa.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 450 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 15, 2020
This is definitely a 5-star cake. The only suggestion I have is to use a sharp or serrated knife when cutting and a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe the knife after about each two slices. I made no changes to the recipe and had only compliments on this cake. I highly recommend it. Volunteer Field Editor
Dec 10, 2016
My husband gives it a 4, because while chocolate chips make everything better, this wasn't an all-chocolate dessert. I thought it was a delicious cake (5 stars) but the chocolate chips were an unnecessary taste distraction and brought it down to a 3. So, 3.5.I liked the chipotle a lot! I also added 1/2 tsp. ginger and 1/4 tsp. ground cloves to echo the pumpkin pie theme.A few days later, we've both changed our minds. The cake's spice and chocolate flavors have mellowed and blended. That means I like it better than I did, while my husband's not as fond of it as he was on its first day. No change to the rating, but the evaluators have flip-flopped. (Of course, if there are more than two in your family you may never find out how the blending of the flavors works for you.)
Oct 16, 2016
love, love, love this cake. got rave reviews from the friends I shared it with.