Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 packages spice cake mix (regular size)
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups white baking chips
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Red, yellow and green paste or liquid food coloring
- Textured paper towel
- 2 pastry bags or small heavy-duty resealable plastic bags
- Pastry tips-#5 round and #352 leaf
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mixes, eggs, pumpkin, oil and milk; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chips. Fill two greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Pour remaining batter into two greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes for cupcakes and 40-45 minutes for cakes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 25 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Level the bottom of each cake. Spread one cake bottom with frosting; put cake bottoms together to form a pumpkin. Set aside. Combine red and yellow food coloring to make orange; tint about three-fourths of the frosting. Tint remaining frosting green.
- Place one cupcake right side up in the center of the cake to support the stem. Put a dollop of green frosting on the cupcake and top with an upside-down cupcake; frost with green frosting. Frost the cake with orange frosting. Let stand, uncovered, until frosting is slightly firm, about 30 minutes.
- To create texture, place paper towel over frosting and press lightly, then remove.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry bag; insert round tip. Fill bag with green frosting. Pipe curly vines from pumpkin stem and base. Prepare another bag with green frosting; insert leaf tip. Holding bag at 45° angle, pipe leaves randomly along the vines. Combine coconut with green food coloring; sprinkle around base of cake.
Mar 16, 2015
I loved this cake. Pumpkin anything makes me happy, & I loved the versatility of decorating this recipe. I did use cinnamon and butterscotch chips in place of white chips & made my own frosting, but left everything else the same. I will make this again.