Chocolate Ginger Cake
Indulge in a dark, decadent cake that showcases the flavors of the holiday season. I stir fresh ginger into the batter and sprinkle chopped crystallized ginger over the velvety ganache. —Amber Evans, Beaverton, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet.
- Place milk chocolate in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt and cloves; add 1 tablespoon flour mixture to milk chocolate and toss to coat.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, molasses and sugar until blended. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in baking soda until dissolved, then ginger. Add to oil mixture; beat until blended. Gradually add remaining flour mixture, beating on low speed just until moistened. In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs and egg yolks; stir into batter until combined.
- Fold in milk chocolate. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; let stand 2 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth; cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Pour over cake; sprinkle with crystallized ginger. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.