Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup course sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, water and gingerroot. Combine the flour, cocoa, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until tops begin to crack. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 80 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Oct 18, 2016
These cookies are so delicious, a great combination of flavors. I just made them for my book group and everyone wanted the recipe!
Nov 18, 2015
I brought these cookies into work one afternoon and within 20 minutes every single cookie was gone. Not even a crumb left! Just the right amount of spice and then mellowed by the chocolate. Delicious!
Mar 9, 2015
An absolute favorite and the more I share these cookies with friends, the more folks claim it's their favorite too. YUMMMMMMM
Dec 22, 2012
This is my favorite winter cookie. It has become a most requested around the holidays.
Oct 31, 2012
Baked these for my church's bazaar and people just loved them! I have even got requests to make them again this year.
Jan 27, 2012
Impressed that a 15 year old developed this recipe! Will make these soon and rate it here!
Dec 14, 2010
These cookies are a great combinations of chocolate and ginger!!! They are amazing!!! I will make these again and again!!!
Nov 27, 2010
A big hit at Thanksgiving dinner!
May 12, 2010
These are now my favorate cookie. Love them!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.