Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup course sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, water and gingerroot. Combine the flour, cocoa, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate. Cover and refrigerate until easy to handle, about 2 hours.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° until tops begin to crack, 10-12 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 80 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 18, 2016
These cookies are so delicious, a great combination of flavors. I just made them for my book group and everyone wanted the recipe!
Nov 18, 2015
I brought these cookies into work one afternoon and within 20 minutes every single cookie was gone. Not even a crumb left! Just the right amount of spice and then mellowed by the chocolate. Delicious!
Mar 9, 2015
An absolute favorite and the more I share these cookies with friends, the more folks claim it's their favorite too. YUMMMMMMM
Dec 22, 2012
This is my favorite winter cookie. It has become a most requested around the holidays.
Oct 31, 2012
Baked these for my church's bazaar and people just loved them! I have even got requests to make them again this year.
Jan 27, 2012
Impressed that a 15 year old developed this recipe! Will make these soon and rate it here!
Dec 14, 2010
These cookies are a great combinations of chocolate and ginger!!! They are amazing!!! I will make these again and again!!!
Nov 27, 2010
A big hit at Thanksgiving dinner!
May 12, 2010
These are now my favorate cookie. Love them!