I rediscovered this old-time recipe recently and found it's everyone's favorite. Even 4-year-olds have asked for these frosted bars as nursery treats. —Carol Nagelkirk, Holland, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chopped nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and granulated sugar. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and spices; add to creamed mixture. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and molasses. Blend in coffee. Spread in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool. For frosting, cream butter and cream cheese; add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Spread over bars. If desired, top with nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 101 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 23, 2010
These are a wonderful fall spice bar...nice flavor and a light complimentary frosting.
Aug 15, 2008
These are delicious--however, next time I would use a pan with higher sides, as the batter ran over the sides of my jelly-roll pan.