Creamy Lemon Cake Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (16 ounces) lemon frosting
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, butter and egg until crumbly. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In another bowl, beat frosting and cream cheese until smooth. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Add eggs to remaining mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Spread over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Spread reserved frosting mixture over top. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 370 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 31, 2018
Made these for Easter. They were great. Could not find lemon frosting so used white canned frosting and added some lemon juice and lemon zest.
Dec 12, 2017
This is a keeper! After reading several reviews about not enough frosting to cover it after baking, I cut it into squares and put the reserved 1/2 cup into a pastry bag and added a "flower" to each piece.
Oct 12, 2016
We used real butter in the crust and thought this recipe was pretty and delicious!
Mar 28, 2016
Good lemon bars. As the name suggests, they are more cake-like than creamy, but still good. Very easy to make also!
Jul 20, 2014
Sticky mess. Mediocre flavor.
Mar 6, 2014
Good recipe and very simple and easy. Will make this again.
Feb 21, 2014
Good recipe. I want to try with other flavored cake mixes like someone suggested. I don't know how grandmagoof8 took these to the neighbors without cutting them in squares and trying. You are a strong lady. :)
Jan 22, 2014
Hands down one of my favorite desserts! Wouldn't change a thing about the recipe! I'm not a huge lemon person, but these would convince anyone.
Oct 22, 2013
It looked wonderful and smelled great but it was taken to some new neighbors. One of these days will have to make and try myself. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Aug 18, 2013
I have made these for years - and they've always been well received. I use all the frosting on the second layer, however, and once cooled just dust them with 10 X sugar lightly. For a stronger lemon taste, try grating a bit of lemon zest into the top layer before baking.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.