Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, butter and confectioners' sugar. Pat into an ungreased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat eggs. Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon juice and zest; beat until frothy. Pour over the crust. Bake 25 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 263 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
May 28, 2018
This was WAY better than the recipe that pops up first in search engines. That recipe is downright horrible -- a hot mess! This recipe, however, has the symbiotic balance of a buttery shortbread crust (that didn't burn!) combined with the tart sweetness of the filling. I could have eaten all nine squares but I made them for a Memorial Day cookout. Agree with other commenters that the pan should either be greased or lined with parchment paper as we did have a slight "crust malfunction" with some of the squares. Overall, it's a hit!
Jan 28, 2018
Exact same recipe in my 1976 Betty Crocker cookbook!
Sep 9, 2017
I loved this recipe!! II is just like my recipe that I have in my recipe box. Bet my recipe is over 50 years old Read a lot of the comments and found it interesting that people were adding nuts to the base. I like how it just melts in your mouth. I will be making this again. I too will be freezing them for portion control!!!
Jun 22, 2017
Hi Anna,All of our temperatures are in Fahrenheit.
Jun 16, 2017
Is it 350 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Mar 12, 2017
I love these lemon bars! The filling and crust both have a nice texture. I was reading that some reviewers put lemon extract in their filling for more lemon flavor. I added an extra teaspoon of zest and an extra tablespoon of juice. This gave me enough lemon flavor. I will make these again!
Feb 10, 2017
Excellent! I added a small package of cream cheese to the lemon filling and my family loved it!
Nov 27, 2016
Good but a bit too sweet
Jul 25, 2016
we get home from vaca in a few days-this'll be made quickly
Jul 4, 2016
I followed the recipe exactly. I like the filling but the crust was too sweet. I love sweets but this was too much. I ruined it when I tried getting it out of the pan, definitely needs greasing or parchment paper. I will make it again but with less sugar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.