Glazed Ginger Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons orange juice
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; spread over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 125 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 28, 2018
The combination of the chewy bars and orange glaze is delicious. I didn't bother measuring the orange zest. Just used all the zest from one orange. These get better the next day too. Will be making this one again.
Nov 13, 2012
These were so nice and moist. Very easy to make and so yummy.
Apr 5, 2010
The bars were a bit of a disappointment to me, but my parents quite liked them. I hoped for more rich flavors, although the chewy texture was appealing. I'd cut the glaze in half next time in the hope that less sweetness wouldn't overpowered the ginger and molasses flavors.